- Install Vundle per instructions
- Try to commit something as per usual with
- Type a commit message using
$EDITOR, which is set to
- Watch commit fail with "error: There was a problem with the editor 'vi'."
- Search for a solution, find this blog post
- Try the workaround it suggests (
git config --global core.editor $(which vim)), notice that it works
- Notice that it also works to reset
- Feel frustrated, because no one seems to understand why this is happening
- Search for related issues in the Vundle GitHub repo, find this issue
- Remain frustrated because while everyone agrees on the workaround, there is still no actual explanation or solution
- Realize that this is a cycle that many more users will struggle through unless a proper fix shows up
- Write this comment in hopes the issue might be reopened
I'm using Vim 7.3. Thanks for Vundle. Looking forward to using it.
Originally posted by @cbeams in https://github.com/VundleVim/Vundle.vim/issues/167#issuecomment-49139196